Community Church celebrates 25 years

DIXON’S CORNERS — Coming up this weekend the congregation of the Community Christian Reformed Church of Matilda Township will celebrate its 25th anniversary. The birth of the Community Church in Matilda Township came out of necessity when the church at Williamsburg became over-crowded. Started in 1952, by the late 1980’s the Williamsburg congregation consisted of…

Read More

Henry Dundas

The Right Honourable Viscount Melville Privy Council, Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh Born April 28, 1742, Edinburg, Scotland. Died May 28, 1811 Member of Parliament in Midlothian, served in British Cabinet as Secretary of State for the Home Department, then as War Secretary, and finally First Lord of the Admiralty until his impeachment…

Read More

Crysler’s Farm Battlefield Monument

Unveiled on September 25, 1895 by the Dominion Government was the Crysler’s Farm Battlefield Monument. The Honourable John Haggart, Minister of Railways and Canals in the Mackenzie-Bowell administration did the unveiling. The inscription on the monument reads: 1813 In honour of the brave men who fought and fell in the victory of Crysler’s Farm On…

Read More

Brinston United Church

Brinston United Church 1871 – 2001 The first church building in Brinston was called the Brown Church. The building of the Brown Church was started in 1871 and dedicated on 20 October 1872. The site was donated by William Locke, the same site where our present church stands. Previous to this the congregations worshipped in…

Read More

Hulbert-Valley United Church

The History of Hulbert-Valley United Church In 134 years, the Hulbert congregation has worshipped in four churches, all of them on the same site that Hulbert-Valley stands today. We doubt that many congregations have had a similar experience! Wesley Methodist (1874) was replaced by a larger, more ornate church (Hulbert Methodist) in 1908; it underwent…

Read More

Iroquois United Church

The History of Iroquois United Church The history of Iroquois United Church and its Methodist predecessors can be traced almost to the immigration of the Loyalist in 1784. William Losee, historically regarded as the pioneer missionary to Upper Canada from the Methodist Episcopal Church in the United States, came to the valley of the St….

Read More

James Whitney

Sir James Pliny Whitney was born in Williamsburgh Township in 1843. He served as a member of the Ontario Legislature for the county of Dundas from 1888 until his death in 1914. From 1905 to 1914, Whitney served as the 6th Premier of Ontario, and was responsible for much of the planning of Ontario’s initial…

Read More

Sir James Morris

Born November 1, 1798 in Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland, James Morris moved to Canada in 1801 with his parents to Elizabethtown, Leeds County, Upper Canada. The family returned to Scotland the following year, then moved permanently to Elizabethtown in 1808. In 1812, Elizabethtown was renamed Brockville. Morris’ early adulthood saw him work for Brockville’s Commercial Bank,…

Read More

Archer

Nothing is written in this section yet. Interested in helping fill in the blank? Contact the Historical Society of South Dundas by clicking here.

Read More

Dundas County

Dundas County was founded in 1792 under order from John Graves Simcoe, Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada and named after Henry Dundas, 1st Viscount Melville. Dundas served in the British House of Commons, as Home Secretary in the government of William Pitt the Younger. Interestingly enough, Dundas opposed the abolition of slavery, while Simcoe was…

Read More

«