Crysler’s Farm Battlefield Monument
Unveiled on September 25, 1895 by the Dominion Government was the Crysler’s Farm Battlefield Monument. The Honourable John Haggart, Minister of Railways and Canals in the Mackenzie-Bowell administration did the unveiling.
The inscription on the monument reads:
In honour of the brave men who fought and fell in the
victory of Crysler’s Farm
On the 11th of November, 1813.
This monument was erected by the Canadian Parliament
The event attracted 6,000 people, including sitting Prime Minister Sir Mackenzie Bowell. A guard of honour was formed by the Morrisburg High School Cadets, which marched in a parade to the wharf in the Village of Morrisburg. The Glengarry Highlanders 59th Battalion Band headed the parade. The cadets carried a flag which was carried by the Dundas and Stormont Militias at the Battle of the Windmill in 1838.
The monument was relocated from it’s original location beside Highway 2 due to the St. Lawrence Seaway project in the 1950’s. It is now located at the Crysler’s Farm Battlefield Memorial, Upper Canada Village.
Library and Archives Canada
Harkness KC, John Graham Stormont, Dundas & Glengarry – A History : Mutual United Press, 1946